It’s a startling thing to grasp that the most important task God has given us, to make disciples, is perhaps the most ignored part of the Christian life. For many it is simply fear. They just do not know where to begin.
Love has to be the starting point. Simply begin pursuing loving God with your whole heart. Then, allow that love spill over on to people as you live your life. God loves people and when His love is in you, it is very natural for you to begin to just care for people.
A friend of mine asked me recently to give him some questions that help me begin conversations that can lead to discipling opportunities. Maybe these questions will stimulate your thinking and give you tools for this important task of making disciples. These are questions given to someone who is already a member of God’s family but is perhaps seeking to grow further.
- What is God doing in your life and how is He changing you to become more like Christ and less like yourself?
- What are some of the fruits of the Spirit that you are struggling to demonstrate in your life?
- What areas of life is God’s grace becoming more important/more precious to you?
- Tell me about what you pray when do pray.
- How has your life demonstrated God’s glory more accurately today than last week at this time?
- What three things have you repented of in the last 2 days?
- What do you see are the steps toward spiritual maturity that you need to take? (I am constantly seeking to help them map out their own growth strategies.)
It’s not hard. Love God and then love people.